Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Name That Tune

Psalm 84:5-6 "Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage.  As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it spring; the rain also covers it with pools."

Working retail management can a be grind, so I remember being very happy I hired a particular employee who was hilarious.  This guy always kept me entertained, and his antics usually helped store morale.  One game he would play was to hum or whistle a tune that he felt represented certain people walking around the store.  He was good at it too, his song always seemed to match whoever might be wandering the aisles.  Through the day the tunes would come out of nowhere, "Bad to the Bone", "Viva Las Vegas", "Mellow Yellow", and sure enough I'd look up and passing right in front of me would be someone matching that song.  I don't remember him ever being mean about it, and it always brought his desired end, a shake of the head and a smile on my face.  His little game did teach me something that I carry with me to this day.  Wherever I go or whatever I do, I carry with me a song, or attitude, or vibe.  The question for me is what sort of vibe am I giving off?  As a Christian I carry my Lord with me, so wherever I am, ought to be blessed with His holy song or attitude.  The above verses from Psalm 84 speak of this.  The blessed of the Lord are passing through the Valley of Baca, and make it spring to life.  The Valley of Baca is literally the Valley of Weeping.  How amazing, a place of tears and lamenting becomes a place springing with life, because the blessed of the Lord are passing through.  The psalmist often speaks of the Lord giving him a new song.  This is a song of our loving God, a song that is holy, and right, and joyous, a heavenly song.  As we pass through the work place, or sit in the food court, or wander the valley, may it be that whomever we pass will be moved to hum or whistle a new song, as they recognize our Lord's life in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment