Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Rest In His Word

Psalm 119:49-50 "Remember the word to Your servant, upon which You have caused me to hope.  This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life."

Words are very powerful.  I heard on the radio this morning that the stock market had taken a major plunge because of word from Greece.  I was on a hospital visit sitting with a family anxiously waiting word from a nurse.  I recently got a prayer request from a man wondering about his health, as he was awaiting word from a medical lab regarding a test he had taken.  And then there was the worry of a young man who knew word was coming from his mechanic as to how much money it would take to get his car running.  All these folks were waiting on words that would bring sadness or relief, fear or joy.
Words are indeed powerful, and we can get words from anywhere, doctors, friends, teachers, lawyers, or co-workers.  It is important to listen to man, but we must be wary not to set our hopes in the words of man, lest our lives be set on an unstable roller coaster type foundation.  Our lives are not to be set on the words of man, but on the sure foundation of God's word and His promises.  As we trust in His word we have hope, and comfort, and life, not matter what we hear from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment