Monday, August 17, 2015

Remember Your God


 "Is this not the word that we told you in Egypt, saying,
let us alone that we may serve the Egyptians? 
For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians that that we should die in the wilderness."
Exodus 14:12

I often wonder how the Children of Israel could have had such little faith.  Sure, they were in a tough spot, the Red Sea was in front of them and Pharaoh and his army were pressing down upon them from behind.  They had no escape in any direction and they knew that the Egyptians would show no mercy, but how could they have forgotten all that God had done for them so quickly?  The Lord had delivered Israel from the slavery of Egypt by His great power through the plagues, and had even gone before them in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.  They were in this dangerous circumstance because they had been following the Lord!  Yet, they were fearful and even rebellious.

Usually when I begin to question the faith of the Israelites, the Lord will open my eyes to see myself in their actions.  As I wonder at their lack of faith, I'm reminded of my own lack of faith.  There have been many times when the Lord has miraculously answered prayers, and I have confessed that I would never doubt Him again only to doubt Him again.  If we are honest with ourselves I believe we can all identify with the weakness we see in the children of Israel.

If you find yourself in a season of doubt or a place where there seems to be no escape, it's time to remember your God.  The Lord knows where you are and the troubles you face, He has never failed you, and He never will fail you.  Replace panic with prayer and fear with trust.  If you are in a Red Sea moment, heed Moses command to Israel, "Do not be afraid.  Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord..."

No comments:

Post a Comment