Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sown Much, And Bring In Little


 
Now therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: "Consider your ways! You have sown much, and bring in little; your eat, but do not have enough; your drink, but you are not filled with drink; you clothe yourselves, but no one is warm; and he who earns wages, earns wages to put into a bag with holes."
Haggai 1:5-6

The other day I was at the gym and did my cardio work on a treadmill. When I had finished, I checked the machine and it told me how long I had been running, how many calories I had burned and that I had had run four miles. I had worked up a decent sweat and my heart rate was up so I knew that I worked hard, but the fact is, in reality I didn't go four miles because I was standing in the exact same place I was when I began the treadmill workout.

I tell you this story because it is a great picture of the way many people live their lives. They expend a great deal of energy and are working very hard, but when it comes to that which matters most, the eternal and spiritual, they get nowhere. There are far too many who have laid up their treasures here on earth, who have set their hearts on earthly gain, and sadly when it is all said and done will be left with nothing.

The Lord calls you to consider your ways. Are you expending most your time and energy on the temporal or the eternal, on earthly or the heavenly? As you commit your ways to the Lord He will give you a new perspective and new priorities that your life might have lasting eternal fruit. Don't work so hard for nothing, seek His kingdom first!


No comments:

Post a Comment