Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Guide With The Eyes

A sure sign that you know someone well, is that you are able to communicate with them without speaking.  My wife and have known each other long enough to become pretty adept at "speaking" non-verbally.  It comes it handy in telegraphing from across rooms or tables, or most especially from the front row to the pulpit!  The eyes are key in communicating without words.  How amazing that sentences can be found in a glance or a wink.  A lecture can be given in a scowl, or a poem in a twinkle.  I'm sure you will agree with me that it is hard to properly define the words coming from ones mouth if you can't see the persons eyes.  In Psalm 32:8, the Lord says, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye."  Don't you find it amazing that the Lord desires to establish non-verbal communication with us.  He wants our relationship with Him to be such that we might be able to discern His will by just looking at His eyes.  Now, clearly He is not calling us to stare up toward heaven, looking for a big eye in the sky.  But He is calling us to set our gaze toward Him, through spending time in the word, through communion in prayer, and intimacy in worship.  What a privileged call we have, God has invited us to be such friends with Him, that He can guide us with His eyes.  There have been too many times that the Lord has had to flick my ear or pull out a megaphone to get me to move.  Oh how I desire that my friendship with the Lord would be such, that at the slightest glance I'm able to discern His heart and amen His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment