Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Search Me

Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

I was at the Dermatologist today when the above verse came to mind.  I find it necessary to visit the Dermatologist on a regular basis.  It seems my bald head and Irish complexion attract nasty sun rays, and this makes me a prime candidate for skin cancer.  My appointments are usually the same, I arrive and ask the doctor to search me, and try me, and see if there is any wicked cancer in me.  The doctor thankfully is very diligent in the searching, and when something suspicious is found, she brings out a device that looks like a blowtorch and burns it away.  I've never been a big fan of these doctor visits, but I make the appointments because the stinging of the blowtorch is much better than cancer.  In Psalm 139 David does an important and scary thing, he invites God to be like a Dermatologist and search his heart, and try him, to see if there is any wicked way in him.  David knew what we all know, that we are all prime candidates to fall into sin.  He also had a clear understanding of the danger and deadliness of sin, and thus he boldly asked God to examine him and remove any trace of the cancer.  We all know the wisdom of regular check-ups at the doctors that can detect a deadly disease.  How much more than, do we need to invite God and His blowtorch, to search, and try, and cleanse, that we might be free from the deadliest of all diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment