Monday, December 31, 2012

Always New

Colossians 3:10 "and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him."

It's a fact of life, that all the stuff we have gets worn out with use and over time.  My favorite jeans, shoes, t-shirt, whatever I have and use will eventually lose its newness and fade away.  It's great fun having all of our post Christmas new things, but they aren't new for long.  Nothing can be new forever, in fact the instant you first use it, it is no longer new.

You might be wondering if I'm depressed going on about everything getting old, and worn out, and faded....but I'm not!  In fact my pondering the old and new has gotten me pretty excited.

My thoughts were triggered by the fact that a new year is upon us, and there is all the annual talk about resolutions and new starts, about getting rid of the old and beginning anew.  Of course as I hear all of this, I'm reminded of what I already stated, what is new will soon be old.  But the exciting part to me is this:  There is one thing that never gets old and is in continual renewal, that is our relationship with the Lord.

How exciting it is to understand what a living and vibrant relationship with God brings about.  Just think about all that is new in Jesus....we have been given a new song (Psalm40:3); we are given new mercies every morning (Lamentations 3:23); a new spirit (Ezekiel 11:19); a new heart (Ezekiel 18:31); we are new creations, and all things are made new (2 Corinthians 5:17); and this is all in Jesus, the new a living way Hebrews 10;20).

It is a fact of our spiritual lives in Jesus, that our outward man may be perishing, but our inward man is being renewed day by day (2 Corinthians 4:16).  How great is it, that in Christ we aren't getting older, we are just getting newer everyday.  Make it your resolution to work on your relationship with Jesus, which will forever be new.  Happy New Year.



No comments:

Post a Comment