Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Joy To The World

Hebrews 11:13 "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth"

The shock of the shootings in Connecticut hasn't worn off, and with every new story and picture the ache returns.  The fact that this evil came upon little ones causes the grief to linger.  I must keep reminding myself that our prayers for the families and people of Newtown are effectual, so it is important to keep praying.
I was talking to someone who said that the shooting had robbed them of their Christmas joy.  I had to agree because I felt much the same way.  Not long after that conversation I was in the car listening to a Christmas music station.  I have to admit I was pretty numb to some of the old traditional songs, Frosty, Silver Bells, and Rudolph, didn't do too much for me.  When I was about to switch stations the hymn "Joy to the World" came on and it set my focus right and the joy returned.  It was the third verse that struck a chord within me...."No more let sins and sorrows grow, nor thorns infest the ground, He comes to make His blessings flow far as the curse is found."
With all the evil that we are bombarded with we are constantly reminded that we are living in a fallen world that is under a curse brought on by our own sins.  The words of that third verse reminded me why we sing Joy to the World.  The world desperately needs a savior, and God sent us one, oh what joy, the Savior born in Bethlehem has come!
We often feel like strangers in this world, and I guess we should, because it's not our true home.  But let's not get a hard heart toward the world.  Just think of how much our perfect and holy Jesus was a stranger here, yet He gave of Himself completely for this worlds salvation.  We have been given the only message of hope for this world, and now it rings more true than ever.  Don't let evil rip off your Christmas joy, when it gets dark share the message that brings light, the Savior has come to end the curse and ban all evil.  Joy to the World!

1 comment:

  1. Terry, this was wonderful. God has given us joy. He has overcome sin and death. We will keep praying for those families.
    Thanks,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete