Monday, August 9, 2010

Too Big For Your Britches

Psalm 9:19-20 "Arise, O Lord, do not let man prevail; let the nations be judged in Your sight.  Put them in fear, O Lord, that the nations may know themselves to be but men."

Man's biggest problem from the beginning of time has been pride.  Our first sin of rebellion and disobedience was spurred on by pride, manifested in wanting to be like God.  From that day until now, every man has the heart to be his own little god.  Even in our early years we proved this out.  When I was a youngster my mom used to tell me I was acting too big for my britches.  I'm still not sure exactly what that means, but I got the point.  I suppose if the movie Top Gun had been released in those days, she might have used the line....Terry, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash.  She didn't really need to to explain the meaning of the saying, because I knew exactly what my attitude was like.  I was being a prideful spoiled little brat.  I was wanting to do what I wanted, when I wanted, and was attempting to be my own little god.  Even today I can get too big for my britches.  You'd think I would have learned by now, that my worst days are those days lived for me, and my biggest problems are those authored by me.  The psalmist prayed, "do not let man prevail".  In truth we need to make that very personal, and pray, Lord don't let me prevail.  The psalmist also said, "may they know themselves to be but men".  Again, I need to take that to heart and pray, Lord help me to remember that I am but man and You are God.  The issue for us daily, is who will call the shots in my life?  Will today be a too big for my britches day, or a day lived in dependence upon God?  Oh what a blessed day as you would allow Jesus the Lordship of your life and allow His will to prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment