Saturday, December 26, 2009

World's Worst Wrapper

Once again this Christmas I have realized that I am probably the world's worst gift wrapper.  It's not that I choose ugly paper or ribbons, it's that my hands don't work properly.  I can't seem to fit or fold or cut just right, thus the gifts I wrap don't look nearly as appealing as the others around the tree.  I'm not really ashamed of being the world's worst gift wrapper, because we all know spiritually speaking that the gift inside is always much more important than the wrapping.  The paper that wraps the gift is torn up and tossed out, while the gift is treasuredIn Jesus, God has given us the greatest gift of all time.  I wonder how much time was spent in wrapping this most precious gift?  Scripture actually indicates that Jesus' "looks" or His "packaging", were not very important at all.  The latter part of Isaiah 53:2 says: "He has no form or comeliness; and when we see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him."  This is amazing to me, Jesus being God could have chosen to be the most incredibly handsome dude ever, with cut abs and great hair!  But God in flesh chose to wrap Himself so simply, that man would hardly take note of the package.  The application of this is evident and convicting.  How much time do we spend on our outward adornment, versus the inward gift of Jesus?  How much thought and worry over that which will perish while neglecting that which is eternal?  I am convinced of this, that our spiritual lives will be so much richer if we would give greater priority to the gift than the wrapping.

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better... Joe is actually the world's worst wrapper and the world's worst rapper. :)

    ReplyDelete